What is a growth mindset? How is a growth mindset the critical foundation for an organizational culture of continuous improvement, operational excellence, and innovation? What is the connection between a growth mindset and a Lean mindset?
Getting comfortable with the struggle inherent in learning something new is challenging. This can be especially true for more senior leaders and executives who have had success in their careers and might feel uncomfortable learning new skills while being out in front. If you are leading organizational change or used to being an expert in your field, it can be challenging for you too.
You won’t want to miss this episode, where I speak with Dr. Carol Dweck about how to develop a growth mindset – personally and in your organization – and her tips to overcome a fixed mindset organizational culture of “genius” where leaders are enforcers of rules rather than enablers of improvement and innovation.
Tune in now to discover how to cultivate personal and organizational growth, learning, and innovation.
In this episode of Chain of Learning you will learn:
- The difference between growth mindset and a fixed mindset
- How a growth mindset is the foundation for continuous improvement mindset and organizational culture
- How leaders can create an organizational environment that embraces growth, experimentation, and learning from both failures and successes
- How sharing your struggles and creating a supportive environment for others to share theirs will foster a culture of growth and achievement
- The next steps you can take to encourage a growth mindset in your organization and team – and make progress towards being the person you want to become.
Hit play to unlock this powerful continuous improvement and growth mindset strategy for yourself, your team, and your organization.
About My Guest: Carol Dweck
Carol Dweck is a Professor of Psychology at Stanford University and is the bestselling author of “Mindset”, which has sold over 2 million copies globally. She is best known for her theories on the mindset, motivation, and why people succeed (or don’t) and how to foster success.
- Full Episode Show Notes: http://chainoflearning.com/3
- Carol Dweck’s bestselling book “Mindset”
- Carol Dweck’s discussion with Larry Culp at GE’s The Lean Mindset Event
- LeanBlog Podcast with Mark Graban: Discussing the GE Lean Mindset Event with Jim Womack, Katie Anderson, and Jamie V Parker
- Watch Katie and Carol’s discussion on YouTube
- Work with Katie – KBJAnderson.com
- Follow Katie on LinkedIn
- Watch the GE Lean Mindset videos
Are you enjoying the Chain of Learning podcast? Be sure to subscribe or follow – and to share this podcast with your friends and colleagues so we can all strengthen our Chain of Learning® – together.
In this episode, you can expect to learn:
00:46: Discussion on Growth Mindset
02:00: Reflections on the The Lean Mindset event
08:52: Reflections from the GE The Lean Mindset Event
10:04: Importance of Continual Improvement
14:02: Leadership approach discussed with Larry Culp
16:06: Challenges faced by leaders, overcoming the fear of imperfection
19:05: Defining a Growth Mindset Culture
23:17: The role of Growth Mindset in progressing within an organization
24:10: Challenges of implementing a Growth Mindset within an organization
25:40: Discussing supportive company culture
26:37: Discussing styles of teaching and management
30:34: Discussing stepping into the unknown and taking up challenges
32:38: Conclusion, reflections and invitation to listeners.