As a lean leader, I have facilitated countless meetings and events. Truth be told, I am a messy and disorganized note-taker with dreadful handwriting! So, I have significant respect for the people who can record the work and results of a meeting in graphic form. Ashton Rodenhiser is an experienced graphic communicator, and she joined me at the Edges of Lean to share her story and give us some ideas about bringing more images into how we capture meetings.
Ashton Rodenhiser is a passionate creative entrepreneur advocating for drawing as a thinking tool accessible to all, regardless of their drawing abilities. Through her company, Mind’s Eye Creative Consulting, she has been dedicated to helping people communicate their ideas through graphic recording and graphic facilitation. With over 2,500 presentations brought to life, Ashton has demonstrated the power of visually capturing notes for improved recall and a rich connection with information. Ashton enjoys quality time with her family in rural Canada when she is not working.
KEY TOPICS IN THIS PODCAST:
00:00:29 Drawing can enhance meeting capture.
00:08:09 Embrace the imperfection of creativity.
00:14:52 Graphic recording is accessible and efficient.
00:17:30 Visual storytelling is accessible to everyone.
00:25:55 Graphic facilitation empowers diverse voices.
00:27:58 Tangible paper creates memorable experiences.
00:33:17 Importance of transparent communication.
00:39:07 Value lived experiences in forming opinions.
00:44:45 Explore unique job opportunities through research and networking.
- Graphic recording and facilitation can be powerful tools for capturing and communicating the work and results of meetings and events.
- The imperfection of graphic recording allows everyone to see and connect with their wisdom and knowledge.
- Graphic recording can be a powerful way to make people feel heard and seen uniquely.
- Creating simple drawing elements like lines, squares, and circles can elevate information and highlight key concepts.
- Words are essential in graphic recording to capture the content and ensure the group’s ideas are honored.
- Graphic recordings can be used as a living document, with people writing on them and adding sticky notes to keep the conversation going.
- The purpose of graphic recordings is to capture the conversation in time and facilitate ongoing dialogue and action.
Memorable Quotes From Ashton Rodenhiser
“Bringing more images into how we capture meetings can tell a story and enhance understanding.”
CONNECT WITH Ashton Rodenhiser
Find her book: https://amzn.eu/d/b6moElC