The role of a good coach in continuous improvement is a key to CI success.
At some point, we all need to step into the role of a coach whether as a leader, a professional coach, or simply coaching others in our day-to-day interactions. Sam Morgan has been developing his coaching skills but had to overcome many obstacles to become a confident coach. I invited Sam back to the Edges of Lean to talk about his growth as a coach and what he has learned as he gains experience and expertise as a coach.
About Sam Morgan
Sam is a self-proclaimed “confident learner” and earlier this year after 5 years of practice in the continuous improvement space he landed at KataCon, a conference for continuous improvement professionals who practice the Toyota Kata (Helping managers develop coaching skills). There he had a powerful moment realizing where his true passion lies, transforming people through coaching.
Ever since then he has been on a mission to help folks illuminate who they are, and what they were created to do, and give them the confidence to live it through the powerful practice of daily coaching.
Sam is looking to change the lives of people through the process of uncovering their PURPOSE, helping them understand the PATTERN of the Improvement Kata, tied together through the PRACTICE of daily coaching cycles.
Sam takes joy in seeing his clients move from fearful to fearless; from insecure to confident. He resonates deeply with the quote from Henry David Thoreau “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.”
KEY TOPICS IN THIS PODCAST:
- 01:26-05:47 Sam’s career background
- 05:48-08:20 How does Sam overcome impostor syndrome in starting his coaching career
- 08:21-11:56 The importance of self-awareness being a coach
- 12:12-20:48 What is Improvement Kata all about?
- 21:06-24:28 Sam’s advice to people who are afraid of stepping out on their own
- 24:30-28:57 His unique way of inspiring others to have a clear vision of purpose
- 29:36-33:44 What experiences helped him to serve the clients better?
- 33:45-36:39 Top skills that coaches must have
- 36:42-38:30 What type of clients does Sam work with?
- Coaching can be useful in the personal development sphere, helping individuals to overcome obstacles and reach their full potential.
- Overcoming impostor syndrome is a journey, but it is well worth taking if you want to reach your full potential as a coach and serve clients confidently.
- By valuing yourself first and having self-awareness you will be able to develop into a more effective coach who can help others reach their full potential.
- The Improvement Kata is a core component of the Toyota Kata practice, which is designed to help individuals and organizations continuously improve their performance
- Being a great coach is about more than just asking the right questions. It’s also about being a great listener
Memorable Quotes from Sam Morgan
“ What is my purpose? For me, it’s being a light, encouraging, empowering, being someone who provides hope and inspiration. And that brings passion and all the things that the different elements of light are how I want to show up.”
CONNECT WITH SAM MORGAN