Many of us in the continuous improvement community want to write a book. It can be a lot of fun to write a book, but it takes planning and effort. Today on the podcast we’re talking with Dom Brightmon who has been writing his own stories for as long as he could remember, a hobby that turned into something more than just a pastime or creative outlet. Dom is also the host of the Going North podcast which helps authors share their books and and where he shares his knowledge with aspiring writers. He explains the necessity of planning how to write a book and what things you should consider when starting your own story, as well as why collaboration is important for creativity. He also tells us about some tips that will help our stories reach their full potential!
Dominique “Dom” Brightmon, DTM is an award-winning speaker and certified member of the John Maxwell Team. He is the bestselling author of “Going North! Tips & Techniques to Advance Yourself”, “Stay the Course: The Elite Performer’s 7 Secret Keys to Sustainable Success”, and contributing author for “Crappy to Happy: Sacred Stories of Transformational Joy”. Dom host’s the Going North podcast, a top-rated self-help podcast that interviews authors from all over the world. His mantra is advance others to advance yourself.
CONNECT WITH DOM
Key Topics in this podcast:
- What drives Dom to write books, and host a podcast and be a coach?
- How can someone who is interested get started in writing a book and what are the steps to write a book?
- Why continuously improving your book so important?
- Why is it important to write in your own voice and be who you are in terms of writing? Does it apply in any aspect of book writing?
- Reasons why the writing phase and editing phase must be separated
- And conversely why sharing your writing goals, dreams, and aspirations with others might a bad idea!
- How Fiverr helps Dom in his writing career, how it can be helpful for aspiring writers and existing authors.
- What are the ways to market your book?
- What are the things to consider before you are finally able to publish a book?
- Dom is an introvert, but being an introvert doesn’t mean he can’t communicate and express himself, and inspire others!
- You don’t need to be a technically accomplished writer to write a book: just be yourself and express yourself through writing.
- Knowing your purpose and why you are writing a book is the basic foundation of book writing.
- Writing and publishing a book is a never-ending process; to make your writing successful you always need to have a sense of continuous improvement.
- Audiobooks are in today and it is one of the challenges that Dom is facing today as a book writer.
- Haters and constructive criticisms help Dom to build himself and gives him another way to defend his ideas and improve his books.
- Separating creativity from judgment helped Bella improves her book
- It is important to be selective in the people with whom you want to share your book because some people can kill your momentum; choose people that can help you improve, and support your growth.
- More advice from Dom and what you can learn from his books which can be found here
DOM’S WORD OF WISDOM/TWEET-ABLES
- ‘’Success is not a straight line’’
- ‘’Realize that success is tangible’’
- ‘’Collaboration, were better together, we don’t wanna be butter’’
- ‘’Be selective of who you share your writing and your goals and your dreams and aspirations with because there are some folks who may kill your dream before even get your plane off’’