Episode page with video clip, transcript, and more
Welcome to Episode #71 of Habitual Excellence, presented by Value Capture.
Joining us today as our guests are Leah Binder and Dr. Richard Shannon.
Leah Binder is President & CEO of The Leapfrog Group, representing employers and other purchasers of health care calling for improved safety and quality in hospitals.Under her leadership, The Leapfrog Group launched the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, which assigns letter grades assessing the safety of general hospitals across the country.
Richard P. Shannon, MDserves as the Chief Quality Officer for Duke Health.He is responsible for the overall direction, leadershipand operational management of the quality and safety programs of Duke Health, and provides leadership in strengthening a quality culture where everyone is engaged and respected.
Leah and Rick are both amongst the great lineup of presenters at an executive seminar that’s being hosted by Duke Health in Durham, NC — on September 15th and 16th — titled “Leading with Safety.”
Today we’re going to be talking about the urgent need to improve safety and quality in healthcare — and what leading organizations are doing to make progress toward ideal care and zero harm.
In today’s episode, Leah and Rick talk with host Mark Graban, about topics and questions including:
- How would you describe the landscape of patient safety today?
- 20 years since the IOM Report – accelerating in the past decade? Getting worse during the pandemic?
- Headline: “U.S. Hospitals Are Getting Safer for Patients, Study Finds” – Certain adverse events down from about 20% of patients to 10%… thoughts?
- What’s the difference between the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade and the Leapfrog Hospital Survey / ASC Survey?
- Beyond the grades, what do you see happening in the A hospitals vs. the others with lower grades??
- Rick — Tell us about Duke Health’s language around having a “commitment to zero harm” and how that’s not just a slogan? How do you make practical and meaningful progress toward zero harm?
- Leah — How do employers look at the issue and what are they asking for or demanding now?
- Why are we doing this seminar for CEOs and the C-suite instead of quality leaders??
- Rick, why host the seminar at Duke Health?
- The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2020