My guest for Episode #466 of the Lean Blog Interviews Podcast is a returning guest, Billy Taylor. Since his last appearance, Billy has written and released a great book titled The Winning Link: A Proven Process to Define, Align, and Execute Strategy at Every Level.
Billy had a long career at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, where he served as plant director for both union and non-union facilities, leading lean transformations in Goodyear’s largest and most complex tire-producing sites. Billy more recently founded his firm LinkedXL, where he is CEO.
Questions, Notes, and highlights:
- Before we talk about your book, what stood out to you most at the AME conference this year?
- How to understand the level of trust? How do build it??
- “Coaching leaders on how to show up”
- Productive huddles – Key Performance Actions (KPA)
- What is “title-itis”?
- Best people… best processes
- Defining winning — why is that a challenge for some organizations? Lack of agreement on what winning means?
- Purpose mapping – agreeing on this first?
- Developing your strategy — how do we know if a strategy is the “right” strategy?? Truly differentiating??
- What’s your CPI – critical performance indicator?
- “Have you defined what winning means to you?”
- SOAP – Strategy on a Page
- Aligning to win — As you write — Making jobs better not making jobs go away?
- “America… not a hiring problem… a retention problem”
- Psychological Safety
- “Covid changed the way we do business”
The podcast is sponsored by Stiles Associates, now in their 30th year of business. They are the go-to Lean recruiting firm serving the manufacturing, private equity, and healthcare industries. Learn more.
This podcast is part of the #LeanCommunicators network.