My guest for Episode #490 of the Lean Blog Interviews Podcast is Quint Studer, the co-founder of HealthCare Plus Solutions Group and owner of the minor league baseball team, the Pensacola Blue Wahoos.
He’s a returning guest, having joined us in Episode #353 (2019) when we talked about his book, The Busy Leader’s Handbook. He’s written many other books — his first being Hardwiring Excellence (2003), a book that was recommended to me when I started serving healthcare organizations back in 2005 — and that book made a huge impact on me.
Quint previously founded Studer Group, which received the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2011. He’s also currently a speaker, an entrepreneur, and a philanthropist.
His most recent previous book is The Calling: Why Healthcare is So Special. His latest book is Rewiring Excellence, a free eBook. The Human Margin: Building the Foundations of Trust, written in partnership with Katherine A. Meese, PhD, is due for publication in March 2024.
In this episode, Quint speaks poignantly about the need to transform rigid practices in healthcare. His clarion call emphasizes the significance of rewriting conventional healthcare procedures to create adaptable strategies. This dynamic conversation also illuminates his concept of ‘rewiring’ excellence. Quint challenges the traditional definitions and procedures regarding excellence, maintaining that these outmoded ideologies need to be revamped with modern perspectives for enhanced results. Thus, stay tuned to hear more about how to navigate the changing landscape of healthcare.
Questions, Notes, and Highlights:
- What can leaders do to help ensure that the calling doesn’t turn into burnout and a loss of that calling?
- How can we stop the blame game?
- “If you do it right, there should be no turnover” (CNAs)
- Focus, fix, and follow up
- The need to close the loop…
- Blame culture
- Assumptions — about why MDs don’t refer in house
- Quint’s excellent article, ‘I may be wrong’: The power of admitting our mistakes
- Why do people get vilified for saying they were wrong or they changed their minds?
- When people hide behind “do you have any research?”
- Tell us about your latest book, Rewiring Excellence: Hardwired to Rewired… free eBook now, print book in pre-order status.
- How do we decide if a hardwired process needs to be “rewired”?
- What is the “Human Capital Ecosystem™ Assessment“?
- Looking ahead to your next book — how can leaders build trust?
- Hosting a podcast now? The Healthcare Plus Podcast
The podcast is sponsored by Stiles Associates, now in its 30th year of business. They are the go-to Lean recruiting firm serving the manufacturing, private equity, and healthcare industries. Learn more.
This podcast was also brought to you by Arena, a PTC Business. Arena is the proven market leader in Cloud Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) with over 1,400 customers worldwide. Visit the link arenasolutions.com/lean to learn more about how Arena can help speed product releases with one connected system.
This podcast is part of the #LeanCommunicators network.