Episode page: https://leanblog.org/450
Tor is the chair of production and operations management in the department of management, technology and economics at ETH Zurich in Switzerland.
He is a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Future Council on Advanced Manufacturing and Value Chains and a Fellow of the European Academy for Industrial Management.
His award-winning research on managing performance improvement appears in leading scientific journals such as Management Science, MIT Sloan Management Review, Journal of Operations Management, and more.
Tor is a recognized thought-leader in operational excellence (including lean) and is the recipient of two Shingo Research Awards and numerous teaching awards.
His blogs at www.better-operations.com.
Like my recent guest, Dr. Lisa Yerian (ep 449), Tor is going to be one of the keynote speakers at the 2022 AME Conference, being held in Dallas — Oct 17 to 20. I’ll be there and I hope you will be too.
Today, we discuss topics and questions including:
- Tor, what is the topic of your keynote talk on the AME theme of “Embrace Disruption”?
- Tell us your thoughts on the role of new technologies in Lean?
- Not just emulating Toyota of the 1960s
- Lessons learned about bringing new ideas to people?
- The dream of the lights-out factory has been haunting us for a while now – GM CEO Roger Smith in the 1980s and in more recent years Elon Musk at Tesla… is that still a dream? Is it a dystopian nightmare? Or something in between?
- How did you first get interested in Lean and Operational Excellence?
- Dogma vs practical realities – Buffers? Inspection?
- Last year, you blogged about the confusion around “what is Lean?” How do you define Lean and what’s the most common confusion?
- Different views of researchers?
- How do you describe the role of company-specific production systems?
- Difference in having YOUR production system vs. just a name?
- “If you like heated debates, start a discussion thread on the definition of lean on LinkedIn.”
- Another heated debate — Lean is not TPS? Goes beyond TPS?
- Tell us why it’s wrong to blame JIT for pandemic-era supply chain problems…
- You have a textbook, written with Michel Baudin, coming out — tell us about that?
The podcast is sponsored by Stiles Associates, now in their 30th year of business. They are the go-to Lean recruiting firm serving the manufacturing, private equity, and healthcare industries. Learn more.
This podcast is part of the #LeanCommunicators network.