Episode page: https://leanblog.org/whiskey33
In Episode 33, we recognize some of the back to normal which includes Mark heading out on the road to do consulting again. That brings Mark close enough to Jamie for a new first: an in-person recording of Lean Whiskey. Mark Graban and Jamie Flinchbaugh meet up in Philadelphia to drink some Garrison Brothers special barrel selection from Mark as well talk about Lean 101 training.
In many ways, this is an origin story for Lean Whiskey. Mark and Jamie would be opportunistic about their travels, end up in the same city, find a good whiskey bar, and talk shop. “We should record this” became almost a joke, until it became reality and Lean Whiskey was born. Now, 33 episodes in, we return to an in-person visit.
Philadelphia becomes our destination, and after recording Mark and Jamie get to go sample some of the great food the city has to offer. We also get to share a bottle (ok, not the whole bottle, but the same bottle), compare hotel glasses to tasting glasses, and set up a different recording approach which unfortunately resulted in there being no video. However, the discussion was as rich as ever, so give Episode 33 a listen.
Links From the Show:
- Our whiskey of choice is Garrison Brothers, and Mark’s “One Off” — Episode 29 is where we talked about the story of this barrel and Mark’s blog post about Garrison Brothers
- Jamie’s blog post “Skip the Intro to Lean Training“
- Any Toyota / lean geek who wants to understand the history should be reading Michael Cusumano’s The Japanese Automobile Industry: Technology and Management at Nissan and Toyota
- How NOT to do Lean 101: Big Bang’s Sheldon teaches physics to Penny (via YouTube)
- In Philly, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and the Franklin Institute
- Double Knot and Morimoto restaurants, and Pat’s and Geno’s cheesesteaks