She leads her own consulting/coaching/speaking practice and has been a member of the National Speakers Association for more than 20 years. Cathy has been a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) since 1993. Since starting her coaching business in 2014, she’s helped more nearly 200 professionals become published authors — including me!
She coached me through the writing and publication of my 2018 book, Measures of Success, and she has been coaching me on the book I’m currently finishing up, The Mistakes That Make Us. The Kindle version is available tomorrow!
Cathy has written books including On Your Mark: From First Word to First Draft in Six Weeks, Blog2Book: Repurposing Content to Discover the Book You’ve Already Written, The Speaker Author: Sell More Books and Book More Speeches, and the WSJ, USA Today, and Amazon best-seller, Authority. Her upcoming book, which I've endorsed, is Writer Crisis Hotline.
In this episode, Cathy shares her favorite mistake story about leaving a business she had started to take a job where she could be “part of a team.” Was it a mistake to take a job with that particular team or to take a regular job anywhere? Did it become easier to move on from jobs over time? What led Cathy to start her latest business based on what she had learned, including what she learned about herself?
We discuss that, along with common mistakes that book authors make when writing and/or publishing their books. We also discuss the choice between traditional publishers, “self” publishing, and “hybrid publishers.”
Questions and Topics:
- Tell us about starting your current business…
- Writing – following a passion?
- Understanding the business model around your book?
- A book is like a startup?
- The learning that happens while writing a book
- Ethical situation when it comes to ghostwriting (by a human) or new AI tools?
- Common book writing mistakes?
- Mistakes related to the publishing phase?
- Mistake titles? Mistake covers?
- The connection between writing and speaking
- Book pricing – finding the sweet spot?“Self publishing” vs. traditional publishing? How to choose?
- Hybrid publishing? – hire a general contractor
Please follow, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts, Podchaser, or your favorite app — that helps others find this content, and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also financially support the show through Spotify.
You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode.
This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.
Support this podcast: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/favorite-mistake/support