Author of Escaping the Build Trap
Show notes: https://www.markgraban.com/mistake96
My guest for Episode #96 of the My Favorite Mistake podcast is Melissa Perri.
She is the author of the book Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value.
Melissa does many things, including hosting the podcast Product Thinking with Melissa Perri. She is Founder & CEO of Produx Labs. Melissa created the online school Product Institute, where she has shared her scientific approach to Product Management with over 3500 students. She also started a program called the CPO Accelerator.
In 2019, Melissa was appointed to the faculty of Harvard Business School to teach Product Management in the MBA program.
Melissa is a highly sought-after keynote speaker, having addressed audiences in over 35 countries.She has a B.S. in Operations Research and Information Engineering from Cornell University.
In today’s episode, Melissa shares her “favorite mistake” story related to working for a software company, where they produced a big requirements document and then built software that, basically, nobody wanted to use. People SAY they’ll use it, but really??
Other topics and questions:
- How do we know if it’s a great startup idea?
- TheHighest Paid Person’s Opinion?
- Risk of creating smaller batches but not being open to experiments not working out
- *MVP – minimum viable product
- Delegating the things you’re really good at
- Didn’t listen to gut over advice, warring with herself for years
- “Experiment theatre”
- What is “The Build Trap”?
- As a consultant, have to be careful not naming names when presenting on stage or doing podcasts… everyone’s on a journey
- Product management mistakes?
- Is the problem the product managers or the company?
- Find Melissa onTwitter
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/favorite-mistake/support